- Course Overview
In this course, you will learn everything you need to know to build and maintain your own Drupal website, from simple blogs to more complex database applications. The training is a combination of self-paced online video lessons, live webinar sessions with an instructor, and real-world assignments to practice what you've learned. During the course, you will build a complete Drupal site, with custom content types and dynamic Views pages.
Who is it for?
- Anyone who wants to build a Drupal website for their organization or business.
- Web designers and developers looking to use Drupal with their clients.
- Website administrators tasked with maintaining and enhancing their existing Drupal sites.
This class is designed for people who have never worked with Drupal, but it’s also appropriate for those with some experience who want to build more complex applications. A basic understanding of content management systems is helpful, but knowledge of HTML, CSS, and programming experience is not required.
How is it taught?
The class will consist of four weekly video lessons, each around 2.5 hours long, and four weekly live Q&A sessions with the instructor. The lessons will cover the topics listed below and can be watched on-demand, anytime that is convenient for you. At the end of each lesson, you will be given an assignment to practice what you've learned. (We will provide web hosting for your practice work, so you don't need to worry about setting that up.)
The weekly live sessions will be conducted online, using the webinar software GotoMeeting. During the sessions, the instructor will answer all your questions from and will help troubleshoot any issues you have doing the assignment. (GotoMeeting allows us to view your computer, and take control of your keyboard and mouse if needed. So, we can see any error messages that you're seeing and figure out how to fix it right on the spot.) In addition to the live sessions, you will have access to an online forum to discuss assignments with other students and ask the instructor questions during the week.
After the course is over you can continue to access the lesson videos, free of charge, forever. There are no monthly subscription fees. Just come back and watch the lessons whenever you want. They are a great reference when you forget how to do something.
Topics Covered in This Course
Everything you need to get a basic Drupal website or blog up and running, including:
- Installing Drupal
- Installing Drupal modules and themes
- Adding, creating and moderating content
- Configuring the WYSIWYG editor in Drupal (adding/removing buttons from the toolbar, etc)
- Creating user accounts and managing permissions
- Adding, removing and reordering menu links
- Assigning SEO-friendly URLs to pages, and having them generated automatically
- Creating and positioning blocks
- Tagging content with the Taxonomy system
- Managing comments
- Updating modules and other regular Drupal maintenance
- Evaluating modules and themes on Drupal.org
Content Types and Views
Learn to build powerful database applications and complex websites without programming. We will cover:
- Creating custom content types and forms
- Adding fields to content types and customizing their display
- Handling uploaded images, including automatic resizing of images
- Linking content together with reference fields
- Creating dynamic, searchable lists of content with Views (pages and blocks)
- Creating custom RSS feeds
We'll also discuss next steps for those you who want to learn more about Drupal site building, theming, or module development.
Wayne Eaker is the director and chief developer of Zengenuity. He's a Drupal expert with years of experience building highly-customized Drupal websites. He is also a seasoned trainer, having taught professionals, corporate clients and high school computer science students.
Dessie — University Information Technology Specialist
Charles — President of Genesee Polymers Corporation
The cost for this course is $198 per student $99 per student — Winter Sale - 50% Off Through February 6th .
- 10+ hours of video lessons and 4 weekly live sessions with your instructor.
- Permanent access to the recordings of all the lessons and live sessions. Watch them again anytime you need them!
- A web hosting account for your practice Drupal site.
- Access to an online forum to ask questions of the instructor and discuss with other students.