June 3, 2014 by Wayne Eaker
- Media handling is something that users expect, and competitors to Drupal have.
In Drupal 8
- File listing - like what File Entity adds under Content in D7
- WYSIWYG Integration - only works with images, not videos, etc.
- Multi-upload capability by default
For Contrib in D8
- Pluggable components for all the media handling
- Hope to reuse them between various media library modules.
- Non-file centric storage components (for remote media, Youtube videos, etc)
- No stable 2.x release
- WYSIWYG handling
- overly-complex out of the box (configuring file display)
- Usability vs Extensibility
- Sustained maintainership
Plan for D8
- Split up File Entity into smaller chunks.
- File Entity and Media Entity will exist separately
- Will try to make components work in a non-media context: Entity Embed, Entity Browser, Fallback formatter
Challenges in Drupal 8
- External Dependencies for Contrib: Currently can't use composer for contrib.
- Using formatters and widgets on data without any real fields
- Files lack proper access controller
- Typed Data and Plugins