Example Lesson - Building Websites with Drupal 7
Lesson Notes and Links
See Course Syllabus and Schedule
You will need download Filezilla or another FTP program to do this week's lesson. (see the links below) If you have any questions, ask them in the class forum or during this week's live session.
Links from the video
- Drupal.org: http://drupal.org
- Drupal Download Page: http://drupal.org/project/drupal
- Filezilla FTP Program Home Page: http://filezilla-project.org/
- Filezilla FTP Program Download: http://filezilla-project.org/download.php?type=client
- Your Hosting Login Information: XXXXXXXXXXX
Over the duration of this course you’re going to be building an example Drupal site. The site will be a simple library catalog, which we’ll then transform into a book store when we get to the e-commerce portion of the class. Your first assignment towards this end is to set up a basic Drupal site.
Here’s an outline of what you need to do:
- Download Drupal 7.18 and unzip it.
- Create the settings.php file, and files directory under /sites/default in the Drupal directory.
- Upload the Drupal files via FTP to the www directory in your hosting account.
- Login to your hosting account and create a database. (hosting login information can be found on the class page, under the Hosting tab)
- Go to the URL for you site, and the Drupal installer should be shown.
- Install Drupal, configure the superadmin username and password.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do the lesson videos play on iPads and iPhones?
Yes, they work on both desktop/laptop computers and iOS devices.
How can I ask questions or get help?
You can ask questions about the lesson or get help with your assignment by posting to the class discussion forums and attending the weekly live lab sessions with the instructor. (online via webinar software)
Do I need to have my own website or hosting account to work on?
No, we will provide you with a hosting account to work with for the duration of the class. This way you can do the assignments without messing up your existing website. Working on our hosting system also ensures your experience matches what you see in the lessons and allows us to troubleshoot any hosting-related issues you may have.
Who We Are
DrupalTutor was built by Zengenuity, a Drupal development firm in Ann Arbor, Michigan. Our online courses are taught by Wayne Eaker, a Drupal expert with years of experience building highly-customized Drupal websites. Wayne's also a seasoned trainer, having taught professionals, corporate clients and high school computer science students.
Drupal is an open source content management platform powering millions of websites and applications. This website and Drupal training are provided by Zengenuity, and they are not affiliated with or endorsed by the Drupal Project, the Drupal Association, or their trademark owners. Drupal is a registered trademark of Dries Buytaert.