This class covers the new PHP techniques that you need to know to program modules for Drupal 8: object oriented programming, namespaces and autoloading, dependency injection, using Composer for dependency management, annotations, and event handlers.
Who is it for?
If you know the basics of PHP (variables, functions, conditionals, and loops) but want to learn the modern style of PHP used in Drupal 8, this is the class for you.
How is it taught?
The class will consist of two weekly video lessons, each around 3.5 hours long, and two weekly live Q&A sessions with the instructor. The lessons will cover the topics listed below and can be watched on-demand, anytime that is convenient for you. At the end of each lesson, you will be given an assignment to practice what you've learned. (We will provide web hosting for your practice work, so you don't need to worry about setting that up.)
The weekly live sessions will be conducted online, using the webinar software GotoMeeting. During the sessions, the instructor will answer all your questions from and will help troubleshoot any issues you have doing the assignment. (GotoMeeting allows us to view your computer, and take control of your keyboard and mouse if needed. So, we can see any error messages that you're seeing and figure out how to fix it right on the spot.) In addition to the live sessions, you will have access to an online forum to discuss assignments with other students and ask the instructor questions during the week.
After the course is over you can continue to access the lesson videos, free of charge, forever. There are no monthly subscription fees. Just come back and watch the lessons whenever you want. They are a great reference when you forget how to do something.
Topics Covered in this Course
- Web server basics
- Setting up a PHP development environment
- Running PHP programs
Working with Databases
- Introduction to MySQL SQL statements: SELECTs, INSERTs, UPDATEs and DELETEs
- Querying MySQL from PHP
- Understanding namespaces and class auto-loading
- Creating and extending classes
- Creating and implementing interfaces
- Using Composer for integrating dependencies into your project
- Writing event handlers
- Using dependency injection for configurable applications
- Using annotations to declare configuration to libraries
- Parsing YAML configuration files
Wayne Eaker is the director and chief developer of Zengenuity. He's a Drupal expert with years of experience building highly-customized Drupal websites. He is also a seasoned trainer, having taught professionals, corporate clients and high school computer science students. Wayne has been a PHP programmer for over 15 years.
The cost for this course is $148 per student .
- 7+ hours of video lessons and 2 weekly live sessions with your instructor.
- Permanent access to the recordings of all the lessons and live sessions. Watch them again anytime you need them!
- A web hosting account for your practice PHP programs.
- Access to an online forum to ask questions of the instructor and discuss with other students.