- Course Overview
Who is it for?
Want to create custom Drupal modules and themes, but don't know PHP? This class is for you.
How is it taught
The class will consist of two video lessons, each around 3 hours, and two live lab sessions with the instructor. The lessons will cover all the topics listed below and can be watched anytime that is convenient for you. At the end of each lesson, you will be given an assignment to practice what you've learned. (We will provide web hosting for your practice work, so you don't need to worry about setting that up.) The lab sessions will be conducted online, using the webinar software GotoMeeting. During the sessions, the instructor will answer all your questions from and will help troubleshoot any issues you have doing the assignment. (GotoMeeting allows us to view your computer, and take control of your keyboard and mouse if needed. So, we can see any error messages that you're seeing and figure out how to fix it in realtime.)
In addition to the live sessions, students will have access to an online forum to discuss assignments with other students and ask the instructor questions.
- Web server basics
- Installing PHP
- Configuring common PHP options
- Running PHP programs
- Setting up a PHP development environment
Programming Structures in PHP
- Variables: Storing and accessing data
- Operators: Doing math and making comparisons
- Conditionals: Making decisions with if/else statements
- Loops: Processing a collection of items with for, foreach and while loops
- Arrays: Storing collections of information
- Objects: Working with PHP stdClass objects
- Global and static variables
- Defining functions
- Defining function parameters
- Calling functions
- Using reference parameters
String Processing in PHP
- Basic string operations
- Common string manipulation functions
- Introduction to regular expressions
- HTML-related functions
Working with Databases
- Introduction to MySQL SQL statements: SELECTs, INSERTs, UPDATEs and DELETEs
- Querying MySQL from PHP
Wayne Eaker is the director and chief developer of Zengenuity. He's a Drupal expert with years of experience building highly-customized Drupal websites. He is also a seasoned trainer, having taught professionals, corporate clients and high school computer science students. Wayne has been a PHP programmer for over 15 years.
The cost for this course is $144 per student $72 per student — Winter Sale - 50% Off Through March 6th .
- 6+ hours of video lessons and 2 hours of live lab sessions.
- Permanent access to the recordings of the lessons and live session labs. Watch them again anytime you need them!
- A web hosting account for your practice PHP programs.
- Access to an online forum to ask questions of the instructor and discuss with other students.