In this course, you will learn everything you need to know to build and maintain your own Drupal website, from simple blogs to more complex database applications. The training will consist of live online video sessions and offline assignments. During the course, you will build your own complete Drupal site, with custom content types, dynamic pages and forms, and e-commerce integration.
Who is it for?
- Anyone who wants to build a Drupal website for their organization or business.
- Web designers and developers looking to use Drupal with their clients.
- Website administrators tasked with maintaining and enhancing their existing Drupal sites.
This class is designed for people who have never worked with Drupal, but it’s also appropriate for those with some experience who want to build more complex applications. A basic understanding of content management systems is helpful, but knowledge of HTML, CSS and programming experience is not required.
How is it taught?
The class will consist of six weekly video lessons, each around 2 - 2.5 hours, and six live lab sessions with the instructor. The lessons will cover all the topics listed below and can be watched anytime that is convenient for you. At the end of each lesson, you will be given an assignment to practice what you've learned. (We will provide web hosting for your practice work, so you don't need to worry about setting that up.) The lab sessions will be conducted online, using the webinar software GotoMeeting. During the sessions, the instructor will answer all your questions from and will help troubleshoot any issues you have doing the assignment. (GotoMeeting allows us to view your computer, and take control of your keyboard and mouse if needed. So, we can see any error messages that you're seeing and figure out how to fix it in realtime.)
In addition to the live sessions, students will have access to an online forum to discuss assignments with other students and ask the instructor questions.
How do On-Demand Courses Work?
This course is offered with an on-demand schedule. With this type of course, you will have the option to start the class at any time after your purchase. You don't have to start immediately when you buy it. When you go to your class page, you'll be given an overview and you can click to start the course at any time. Once you start your course, you'll have access to all the lesson videos immediately, and you'll be invited to the next 6 live sessions with your instructor to help guide you along with the class.
Everything you need to get a basic Drupal website or blog up and running, including:
- Installing Drupal
- Installing Drupal modules and themes
- Adding, creating and moderating content
- Adding a WYSIWYG editor to Drupal
- Creating user accounts and managing permissions
- Adding, removing and reordering menu links
- Assigning SEO-friendly URLs to pages, and having them generated automatically
- Creating and positioning blocks
- Tagging content with the Taxonomy system
- Managing comments
- Updating modules and other regular Drupal maintenance
- Evaluating modules and themes on Drupal.org
Content Types and Views
Learn to build powerful database applications and complex websites without programming. We will cover:
- Creating custom content types and forms
- Adding fields to content types and customizing their display
- Handling uploaded images, including automatic resizing of images
- Customizing the display of multimedia uploads
- Linking content together with reference fields
- Creating dynamic, searchable lists of content with Views (pages and blocks)
- Creating custom RSS feeds
Set up an online store with Drupal Commerce. We'll learn how to set up a site for:
- Taking donations
- Selling simple products
- Paid event registrations and tickets
- Subscriptions and memberships
- Handling shipping and taxes
- Taking online payments with credit cards
- Configuring discounts
In the final segment of this course, we will give an overview and demostrate several commonly-used Drupal modules, including:
- Webform - Create surveys and other online forms.
- Panels - Allows you to create custom layouts, with drag and drop arrangement of fields and other content.
- Rules - Configure triggerable actions without writing code. (For example: Send an email to the site admin when new content or comment is added.)
- Calendar - Create calendars that display site content, such as events.
- Flag - Allow users to mark content or users, such as "like", "follow", flag as inappropriate", etc.
- Feeds - Import content into your site from spreadsheets or online RSS feeds.
We'll also discuss next steps for those you who want to learn more about Drupal theming or module development.
Wayne Eaker is the director and chief developer of Zengenuity. He's a Drupal expert with years of experience building highly-customized Drupal websites. He is also a seasoned trainer, having taught professionals, corporate clients and high school computer science students.
The cost for this course is $295. This includes:
- 12+ hours of video lessons (with transcripts) and 6 hours of live sessions.
- Permanent access to the recordings of all the lessons and live sessions. Watch them again anytime you need them!
- A web hosting account for your practice Drupal site.
- Access to an online forum to ask questions of the instructor and discuss with other students.